Like most of you, we celebrated New Year's Eve in the usual way: flipping channels between coverage of the giant, glittering ball dropping in Times Square and MacMillan and Wife reruns, eating barbecued yogurt and wearing ornate, traditional crappenhatten - or hand-crafted headpieces fashioned from old copies of "The National Enquirer" and embellished with miniature horses and sugar packets stolen from restaurants throughout 2008.
What can I say? We're old-school.
When I woke this morning to my foot in the fireplace and the gentle, liquid rhythm of our beagle scouring the inside of my ear with his tongue, I was overjoyed. What stronger evidence could I have that 2009 is going to kick cosmic arse?
Right. Now down to business.
I must become a superior, more aerodynamic and fuel-efficient version of my newly-marked-down-priced-to-move 2008 self. Oh, and with more torque. Tons of torque. [Note to self: find out what torque is.]
It's not gonna be easy, considering how settled I am into the jalopy that is my 2008 self. Nevertheless, I am resolved to do the following:
- Never allow myself to be caught unawares in a dance-off again. In 2009, I wear leg-warmers at all times and carry my own music. Bring it on, elementary-school moms.
- Go to professional driving school. (Not because that dorkwad judge told me to, but because it'll be fun.)
- Try to stop quoting lines from "Blazing Saddles," especially to strangers.
- Lay off the phrase, "That's total crap!" when volunteering in my daughter's classroom.
- Learn to cook. [Snixks...BWAHAHAH! Oooh, I'm sorry. *wipes eyes* I never can do that one with a straight face...]
- Inform children of their sacred Ninja birthright. On second thought - next year.
- Overcome something.
- Quit being so judgmental of others, especially the super-lame ones.
No matter what your
Hugs all around!
Now Accepting Nominations
The 2009 Bloggie Awards Competition is now underway! Nominations for the year's best blogs are being accepted here in all sorts of categories, including humor, writing, design, geographic location and many more.
Finalists will be determined in part based on the number of nominations they receive, so if you have a moment and feel inclined to nominate our little operation here (along with your other favorites), I'd really appreciate it!
The deadline for nominations is Monday, January 12 at 10:00 PM Eastern time.
Take a moment to stop by Rick's pad over at Organized Doodles. Rick's an amazing cartoonist (and a prince of a fellow) and he's running a contest - you could win one of his "doodles" or even a custom caricature! Good luck!
Thank you to wonderful Florinda at 3 Rs Blog for linking to my silly Christmas Mad Lib!
And thank you to the charming, amazing MuseSwings for this humdinger: